Historical Researcher Cover Letter
The applicant found out about a "hidden" job by taking a tour of the Shoah Foundation. The
tour-giver mentioned open research positions for which the applicant was a perfect fit. This letter
highlights her eagerness and interest in the position. She was so confident in her ability that she included a set of references with her letter. Although this is not usually done, she wanted
to provide all of the needed information right away (and she alerted her references to possible
inquiries about her).
Sample Historical Researcher Cover Letter
2365 S Mayfield Ave • Chicago, IL 60652 • Cell: (123)-555-1234
March 6, 2010
2365 S Mayfield Ave
Chicago, IL 60652
Dear Mr. Smith:
It was a pleasure meeting you on Friday. I would like to join the Survivors of the Shoah Visual History
Foundation project. My position at UCLA ends in December, and I am eager to win one of the research
positions you mentioned at the tour's end. My experience in historical research, teaching, publishing
and study qualify me for the position.
|M.A. degree in history
- Ph.D. Candidate in History, Tulane University, expected in
2005. Coursework focused on war and nationalism in the
United States and in modern Europe.
- Doctoral research focuses on civilians who faced enemy
soldiers during the Civil War, much like the Holocaust
- M.A. in History, plus B.A. in History and English.
|Superior research skills
- Doctoral research has taken me to more than 15 archives
in 9 states. In addition, I have used countless other
published, online and microfilm sources.
- Awarded national and university funds to conduct research
in field of study.
|Ability to prioritize many tasks
under deadline while
displaying excellent attention
- Selected as a research assistant for 2 noted professional
historians. Completed many tasks while balancing my own
- Conducted independent research for thesis, dissertation,
conference presentations and research assistant projects.
- Met all self- and institution-imposed deadlines for all
research, coursework and publications.
|Strong interpersonal skills
and excellent communication
- Taught as an adjunct instructor at UCLA for an upper-level
- Taught as a Teaching Assistant for an undergraduate
history course at the University of Cincinnati.
- Successfully presented 2 papers at History conferences
with 2 more papers proposed for 2004.
- Copy edited 2 books, one of which was a historical atlas
with geographical terminology.
- B.A. degree in both History and English demanded ability
to write well.
|Team player willing to make a
commitment to the
- Strong, lifelong interest in Holocaust and its causes and
significance. Belief in importance of this project.
- Jewish ancestry makes this project even more significant
- Demonstrated ability to make long-term commitment to
research and writing through achievement of thesis and
- Strong skills in Microsoft Word and Excel, the Internet and
My resume/CV provides further details of my accomplishments. I have also attached a sheet of my
references for your convenience. I will contact you next week to arrange a meeting so that we may
discuss the Foundation's needs in greater detail.