Director, Expense Management & Procurement Resume
Most of the applicant's backgr ound was within the telecom industry. When that industry faltered with the economy, he was ready to transition to a new industry. "He submitted this resume and had three offers on the table simultaneously...two with banks and one with a restaurant." The shaded box with testimonials is an attention-getter, buttressed by the list of key strengths of the same height and close to it. Bold italic makes these key strengths stand out.
Sample Director, Expense Management & Procurement Resume
Finance ... Change Management ... Procurement … Purchasing
Visionary strategist with a demonstrated ability to deliver corporate objectives. Solid 13-year career creating market advantage; reducing and controlling expenses; and fostering a culture of teamwork, shared mission, and dedication to customer satisfaction. Key strengths:
Leadership ... Pioneered a service program to improve customer service ratings that exceeded quarterly targets and captured the #1 position among 7 teams. The program was adopted by corporate and rolled out in 21 offices.
Cost Reductions ... Collaborated with intradepartmental managers and senior executives to implement a cost-reduction plan company-wide. Negotiated a telecommunications contract that generated $1.8 million in savings annually. Change Management ... Drove the organization ranking from #6 out of seven to #2 in sales performance within 60 days by introducing an empowering, team-based management style.
Vendor Sourcing ... Consolidated temporary services sourcing from 50 providers to one national contract, generating $200,000 in annual expense savings.
Team Building ... Championed employee development, recognition, and open communication that positioned the call center as #1 in product retention within a 9-state region in 5 months.
New Product Launch ... Introduced incentives and measurement tools that positioned the territory as #1 in telephone sales within a 5-territory region.
Participative Management ... Partnered with the Communications Workers of America (CWA) union to create a performance-based work environment, establishing best-in-class benchmarks for management practices.
Training & Development ... Key member of a 6-person team tasked with developing sales effectiveness training and implementing a certification process. Drove 15% annual sales increases post-implementation, garnering the VP/GM "Shining Star" Award.
BANK OF AMERICA, York, Pennsylvania
Director of Expense Management & Procurement-2002 to Present
Recruited to take over leadership of a department with a history of ineffective leadership, lack of performance, escalating expenses, and excessively high budgets. Manage a 15-person staff and $100 million expense budget; report directly to the Controller.
- Reduced expenses by $2.5 million through detailed reports and analysis of travel, telecom, express mail, copier leases, office supplies, document management, and cell phone policies.
- Partnered with the Human Resource Director to negotiate a 10% contract reduction on a national temporary services contract, yielding an annual expense savings of $200,000.
- Pioneered the department's first-ever incentive performance plans.
VERIZON, Tampa, Florida
Hired as a Senior Internal Auditor, launching a successful ten-year career holding increasingly responsible management positions with this Fortune 100 communications services company. Recruited for a special assignment as Finance Manager with P&L responsibility for a $200 million expense budget.
Manager of Sales/Service/Retention, Consumer Services-2001 to 2002
Selected to drive sales and ensure customer service and retention. Managed 12 direct reports and 100 union-represented employees.
- Personally selected by senior management from among 1,000 candidates to participate in the Gateway Leadership Program.
- Completely turned around sales performance, taking the team from #7 to #2 in 60 days. Maintained the second-position slot for the balance of 2001.
- Initiated the customer service and satisfaction program that took ratings from #3 to #1 in 60 days.
- Built team unity and empowered employees to achieve corporate goals, establishing the team as #1 in product retention and beating the company's regional retention rate by 8%.
Manager of Sales Excellence, Consumer Services-2000 to 2001 Personally chosen for leadership, product knowledge, vision, and financial expertise for this newly created position.
- Developed the Sales Effectiveness Training program that standardized training, strengthened the overall regional sales organization, and led to annual revenue increases of 15%.
Finance & Call CenterManager, Consumer Services-1997 to 2000 Promoted to finance manager and within 12 months assumed additional responsibilities directing a 13-person team in the special-needs call center.
- Resolved a $20 million shortfall in sales goals to finish #1 in booked revenues by benchmarking internal performance, reallocating revenue goals between sales and service departments, and employing performance metrics for sales representatives.
Financial Analyst, Consumer Services Finance-1996 to 1997
Conducted post-promotion marketing reviews for profitability; recommended marketing and operations funding prioritizations; reviewed income statement categories to evaluate financial tradeoffs; and analyzed activity-based costing system results.
Financial & Compliance Auditor, FLORIDA AUDIT DEPT., Tallahassee, Florida-1990-1992
Staff Accountant, Audit Staff, ERNST AND YOUNG, Nashville, TN-1989-1990
Master of Business Administration, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida-2001
Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana-1989
Certified Public Accountant (CPA) • Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)