Principal, Middle School Resume
This principal applied for a principal position at a new and larger middle school. The process was highly competitive, and the other candidates had more experience. The writer crafted a that highlighted the applicant's experience in the development and construction of the new school and the successful programs she created for it. This resume uniquely captured her philosophy and strengths and helped her land the position.
Sample Principal, Middle School Resume
Twenty-one years of progressive experience and accomplishments as an administrator and teacher in middle-level education. Widely recognized for expertise in middle-level education and invited throughout the state to lecture on philosophy, practices and implementation strategies.
- Change agent for education, demonstrating participative and supportive leadership style in the administration of school policies, procedures and activities.
- Demonstrated commitment to ensuring quality education for all students based on their unique social, emotional, physical and intellectual characteristics.
- Humanistic approach in providing leadership and communicating with administration, staff and students.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Valley Middle School (Grades 5-8), Springfield, MO 2001 to present
Challenged to provide leadership direction in establishing and developing the community's first middle school for 500 students. Worked closely with the Building Committee, architects and project manager to review project plans and provide recommendations for the facility design/space. Direct staff of 60 teachers, guidance, paraprofessional and administrative personnel. Accountable for fiscal management, budget development, human resources, curriculum/program development, administration and public relations.
- Effective in bringing together the staffs of each grade level and building a cohesive team in the new middle school.
- Spearheaded initiatives that have led to recognition as an excellent educational organization, resulting in winning the
prestigious Spotlight School Award from the League of Middle Schools:
- Established an exemplary inclusion program that meets the needs of a highly diverse student body.
- Restructured the teaching model to incorporate curriculum mapping and interdisciplinary teaching teams in all grade levels, which has increased student learning and led to steady improvement in MCAS scores each year.
- Implemented a successful Advisor-Advisee program.
- Created teachers' handbook and developed specific content for the teachers' contract that related to middle school.
- Facilitated multiple transition teams in the development of procedures, student handbook, curriculum maps and other materials for the new school.
- Partnered with the Technology Director to equip each classroom with state-of-the-art computer and multimedia technology, complete with Internet connectivity.
- Initiated strategic alliances with organizations such as the Valley YMCA to provide after-school programming.
- Contributing member on a team to revamp and strengthen the teacher evaluation and procedures document.
- Invited to serve on a legislative committee to assess middle-level education in Missouri.
Monroe Middle School (Grades 5-8), Springfield, MO 1985 to 2001
PRINCIPAL (1993 to 2001)
ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL (1991 to 1993)
Promoted to guide and direct all aspects of administration, fiscal management and instruction at a middle school with approximately 500 students. Diverse scope of responsibilities encompassed strategic planning, capital/budget development and administration, staffing, curriculum design and implementation and public relations. Promoted team-oriented atmosphere and delegated through staff composed of 50 education, administration, guidance counseling and support professionals. Controlled $1.8 million annual budget.
Monroe Middle School continued…
- Interviewed, hired and repositioned 38 professionals and paraprofessionals over 3-year period. Results led to significant improvements in Science, Language Arts, Mathematics, Performing Arts, Technology Education, Social Studies, Special Education and Guidance Services.
- Improved standardized test scores through a joint mathematics summer school program with a local college.
- Implemented inclusion environment for all grade levels, established a co-teaching classroom model and improved special needs students' standardized test scores.
- Created a flexible Master Schedule system and restructured school lunch schedule to accommodate increased enrollment with benefit of improved student behavior.
- Introduced weekly, school-wide Advisory Program that fostered a positive environment.
- Established very successful Peer Mediation Program and worked with Guidance Services to retain program.
- Organized Crisis Team, which developed procedures for reacting to a variety of potential school-wide crises.
- Developed Student Assistance Model, a problem-solving team for at-risk students.
- Established new computer lab: selected hardware and software, set up teacher training, integrated computer classes into master schedule, assisted with writing computer curriculum.
- Implemented multiage, multiyear team structure for grades 7 and 8, which reduced grade-level transition issues and impacted students' academic performance.
Served on Instructional Improvement, District Assessment, Labor Management, Cochair District Enrollment Study, Title IX Coordinator, Advisory Board Business Education Alliance and District Technology Committees.
Prior: Teacher, Grades 5-8 (1985 to 1991).
EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT / PRESENTATIONS
Presentations to future educational administrators for the Missouri Department of Education, 2003 and 2004 Co-Presenter, "Working Together: Pre-Service and In-Service Teachers Engage in a Seminar Using Cases to Explore the Mathematical Thinking of Children," National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics Annual Conference, San Francisco, CA, 1999
Designed and led workshops at various schools for the League of Middle Schools on: School Administration; Teaming: Theory, Principle and Practice; Flexible Block Scheduling; Cooperative Learning; Integrated Curriculum; Interdisciplinary Units; Planning and Developing an Advisor/Advisee Program, Language Arts in the Middle School; Process Reading and Writing; Portfolio Assessment
EDUCATION / CERTIFICATIONS / AWARDS
M.A., Secondary Education Administration, Missouri State College, Springfield, MO
B.A., English, Ohio State College, Columbus, OH
Certifications: Superintendent/Assistant Superintendent; Principal/Assistant Principal, 7-12
PTA Life Achievement Award, 2004; Rotary Community Service Award, 1998; Milken National Educator Award, 1997
National Association of Secondary School Principals
National Middle School Association
Founder, Past Chair & Member-"413" Middle School Administrators
Board of Directors-Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
Elected to Executive Council & Past Chair-League of Middle Schools
Founder & Treasurer-Missouri Middle-Level Educators