Sales Representative Resume
The writer faced a number of challenges. The individual was facing age issues. That meant not going back too far and using a different format for earlier experience. Typical of many IT salespersons, this individual had worked recently for many start-ups and early-stage companies. His biggest wins were earlier in his career. The writer's approach was to catch the reader's attention, qualify him for his target, indicate his value in a profile, and show his worth in the rest of the resume.
Sample Sales Representative Resume
- Technology Sales
- Hardware / Software / Services
- Consultative Sales / Large Account Wins
- B2B / B2C / Channel Sales
TOP PRESENTATION, CLOSING & STRATEGIC ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT SKILLS
MULTIMILLION-DOLLAR ANNUAL SALES / CONSISTENT QUOTA OVERACHIEVEMENT
TOP-PRODUCING SENIOR ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE. Ranked #1 in sales in both Fortune 500 technology companies and IT start-ups. Expert at turning around territories with histories of declining sales and turning them into revenue leaders. Combine technical proficiency with consultative sales skills to close top-dollar sales. Engineering Bachelor's degree plus MBA. Power user of PowerPoint. Hands-on technical grasp of software and hardware. Experienced sales manager / leader.
PhoneWeb Communications-VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) start-up, St. Louis, MO (2005 to Present)
- Forged key technology evaluation agreements with 2 Fortune 50 firms.
- Hired and trained a sales team of 5.
Hartwell Networks-Early-stage networking company, St. Louis, MO (2003 to 2005)
- Finished the final quarter with #1 ranking (out of sales team of 10), closing $2.9 million in sales (143% of quota).
- In a tough market, closed important deals: RE Lighting, Southwestern Univ., Medco Laboratories, and BankWest.
River Networks/Truro-A merger of Truro (routers) with Solidoptics (hubs, switches), St. Louis, MO (1998 to 2003)
- At Truro, ranked #1 for 3 years running in new accounts closed (out of 10 reps). Ranked in top 2% nationally (3rdhighest sales numbers out of 125 sales reps).
- Closed multimillion-dollar deals with Topflight Airlines and GermanBank.
- Finished FY 2002 at 125% of quota.
- Turned around a problem account with a global banking firm. Innovated a successful strategy to package services with hardware that in turn resulted in successful cross-selling of Solidoptics products into the account.
- Established customer service as a competitive advantage in a strong field of competitors, including Cisco Systems. Won customer trust and loyalty by assigning a dedicated support person to global accounts.
- Sold a $3.5 million services agreement for hardware and software maintenance to a large account. Path-breaking approach became a best-practices model that was adopted company-wide.
SALES MANAGER-EASTERN REGION
Boston LAN Systems-A $35M hub and router vendor, Boston, MA (1994 to 1998)
Recruited to turn around the Eastern Region. Territory had a history of declining sales volume and low revenue-per-rep metrics. Charged with selling complex integration deals. Used management skills, coaching, and sales expertise to lead sales team to peak performance. Hired, fired, mentored, and trained representatives.
- Catapulted the worst-performing region out of 6 into the top position within 13 months, winning Regional Manager-of-the-Year award for 1995, despite a corporate environment of generally declining sales.
- Transformed the sales team, bringing a minimally productive sales team of 10 to a top-performing, lean group of 7 reps who sold $9.9 million total in 1995, averaging $1,610,000 per salesperson. (In 1994, the larger, inherited team averaged only $667,000 per rep.)
- Closed the largest sale ($3.1M) in the company's 10-year history.
- As VP of Eastern Region Sales for a communications technology startup:
- Opened a huge sales territory, built a sales force of 6, and led them to $12 million in sales revenues in 2 years.
- Leading by example, finished #1 in sales in 1984, 1985, and 1986 out of 12 reps in all.
- Closed a $6 million aerospace company deal at a time when that sale accounted for 33% of total corporate revenues.
- For a telecom giant, excelled as an individual sales contributor while managing a branch office of 67:
- Led sales team of 10 to achieve 237% of quota.
- Instrumental in closing 2 major accounts, including the largest deal among all 9 local branches (to supply data modems to a hospital supply company's 2,200 locations).
- As Regional Sales Manager for Global Data Corporation:
- Turned around the weakest of 16 regions and led 25 reps to finish in #1 position nationally at 191% of quota.
- Using diplomatic and negotiation skills, avoided threatened litigation, saving the company $550,000.
- Rescued $1.3M in revenues by turning around a troubled account.
- At IBS, as Marketing Representative for the Data Processing Division:
- Attained 7 consecutive 100% Clubs and 2 Golden Circles, averaging 200% of quota.
Master of Business Administration Washington University, St. Louis, MO
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering University of Missouri, Rolla, MO
Sales Skills: prospecting, qualifying leads, making presentations, sales closing, solution sales, consultative sales, channel sales, direct sales, customer needs assessment, field sales management, key account management, negotiation, sales cycle management, sales training, team building / leadership