Student Teacher Resume
The applicant was a man in his 50s whose previous careers were in the Navy, fishing, and manufacturing. When his manufacturing job moved to Mexico, he returned to college for a degree under a special teachers' program to teach history. His goal was a highly competitive position at the school where he student-taught. The resume writer sought to show how this individual will bring "an interesting mixture of authority, geniality, and intelligence to the classroom."
Sample Student Teacher Resume
North Carolina License, Social Studies 9-12
Proactive, uncompromising focus on improving reading, writing, and critical-thinking skills. Use flexibility, resourcefulness, and organizational and interpersonal skills to assist that learning through a positive, encouraging environment.
- Capable teacher thoroughly grounded in U.S., Middle East, World, and European history.
- Rapport-builder with parents (they think they're all alone out there), able to gain their involvement, trust, and respect in creating a participative environment.
- Adept, available, and adaptable classroom manager-combine discipline plan with effective procedures and varied lessons to attract the inattentive and enforce student accountability.
- Student motivator-can use cooperative learning, jigsaw, and other student-directed, process learning techniques to foster a team spirit and build teamwork and goalsetting skills.
- Develop useful daily lesson plans and instructional resources.
- Friendly, interactive, dependable.
- Some fluency in Spanish (can read Spanish newspaper).
B.A., History, Magna cum Laude, December 2006
North Carolina University, Polk, NC
- U.S. History, Medieval Europe, Politics of the Middle East, Political Science,
Chinese History (Revolutionary China), Afro-American History, Human Rights &
International Politics, Humanities. Dean's List every eligible semester.
- Hall High School, spring and fall 2006-11th-grade college-prep classes in U.S.
history. Selected to teach AP U.S. history class due to knowledge of material.
- Contributions included judging senior projects, proctoring end-of-course tests, and
sponsoring the fledgling Debate Club.
- Because my co-op was on the school improvement team, was able to observe
planning and goal-setting functions in the effort to meet constantly changing
- Participated positively in parent-teacher conferences.
- Contributions included judging senior projects, proctoring end-of-course tests, and sponsoring the fledgling Debate Club.
- Selected for Phi Alpha Theta History National Honor Society (high GPA and faculty
- Selected by History Department faculty for the Mike Bolson History Scholarship as a
promising student in the field of history, despite being on an education track.
- Participant, NCU History Association.
- Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity-Chapter President; as Vice President of Service, initiated projects involving boys' and girls' clubs; fund-raising for pediatric brain tumors; highway beautification; food bank.
WNC Technical Community College
Coursework in Anthropology, Biology, Spanish, 1973
University of Massachusetts-Boston
BOILER OPERATOR: Culverton Textiles, Foster, NC-1981-2002
Operated steam and electric generating utility for largest textile mill of its kind in the world, on 10 acres, with its own waste-treatment and water-filtration system; a selfcontained mini-city, it generated much of its own power. Member of 2-man team: managed electrical control room, maintenance, welding, machinery repair, pipefitting.
ENGINEER: 100-foot Bluestocking fishing boat, Gloucester, MA-1971-1980
MACHINIST MATE: United States Navy-1967-1971
Served on the U.S.S. Georgetown (traveled to Mozambique Civil War, the Indian Ocean, and Havana, Cuba) and U.S.S. Severn (oil tanker refueling ships at sea in the Mediterranean). Trained Navy personnel (including firemen and 3rd class petty officers) to work with tools and operate equipment.
- Coached Roller Hockey for boys' and girls' clubs, ages 13-18, in league competition.
- Tutor, Afterschool Club, Salvation Army.
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters, 1981-1983. Mentored 7-year-old boy (gardening, movies, sports, homework). He moved to another state.
- Member of church Inquiry Committee-answer questions to assist one in deciding whether to join the church; prepare lesson plans and curriculum for those interested in doing so.